How to drive to reduce fuel consumption:
Maintain proper air pressure
Underinflated tires are one of the biggest causes of using excess fuel in the world. The American Automobile Agency has stated that operating a vehicle with underinflated tires can result in a 25% reduction in fuel economy.
Select low rolling resistance tires
The lower the rolling resistance, the less effort from your engine, the better the gas mileage. Some additional tips:
- Drive at a constant speed, avoiding rapid stops and starts.
- Turn off the engine when the car is at a standstill, for example in a traffic jam or at a railroad crossing, if it is safe to do so.
- Drive light. Extra weight increases fuel consumption and polluting emissions.
- Remove unused accessories like roof racks and luggage carriers, which create aerodynamic drag.
Want to learn more about sustainability and MICHELIN?
Pressure is key
Choosing your tires:
- Choose tires that have “fuel economy” as one of their main performance characteristics.
- Tires that have “traction” as their main characteristic will often have reduced fuel economy; winter tires and tires for heavier vehicles such as SUV and light trucks might not be the most fuel-efficient.
Be alert when driving on the highway. Learn how speed limits, steering, driving breaks, turning signals and more affect your daily drives in the fast lane.
Road Trip Guide
How do I care for my tires? Find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions and learn how to properly prepare for your road trip.
Maintain your focus on the drive by never driving under the influence. Prepare to navigate emergency driving situations with these key tips.
Driving on Wet Roads
Discover driving tips offered by Michelin professional test drivers to help you drive safely on wet roads.
Driving Under Difficult Conditions
Navigate with confidence even when the road gets tough. Use these safe driving tips curated by MICHELIN® experts to help you drive under difficult conditions.
Turn your night drives into your safest drives with these four key safe driving tips to keep you alert, at an optimal speed, and away from headlight glares.
Prevent fog from taking over the wheel with these three safe driving precautions to enhance your visibility through the fog and avoid car collisions.
Overcome windy conditions with six easy steps to ensure your safety both inside and outside the car while driving in windy weather.
Ice & Snow Driving
Uncover new winter wonderlands while safely driving in snow with nine tips to keep your hands on the wheel, turns precise & winter tires on the road.urns precise & winter tires on the road.
Take off road drives up a notch with these three safe driving tips for driving in the mud to ensure your vehicle and your adventure won't get stuck in the soil.
Sound driving means a sound mind. Guard against fatigue with these fatigue and driving facts. Be proactive in emergency driving situations with our key tips.
Elevate your off-road drives with these three key safety tips for driving in the mud to ensure your vehicle and your adventure won't get stuck in the soil.
Get Car Ready for Winter
Discover the best winter driving advice in the Michelin winter guide. Find Michelin winter tires here.