- Release the gas pedal gently.
- Steer the car in the direction where the back of the car is sliding.
- Shift to a lower gear quickly and use the engine to slow down.
- Turn on hazard lights as quickly as you can until you regain control.
- Apply hand brake if necessary.
Learn how to brake in an emergency with eight steps to bring your car to a halt when your brakes stop working whether you're making a turn or driving uphill.
Don't let tire blowouts deflate your trip. Try these six steps to keep your hands on the wheel and bring your car to a safe stop.